Sunday, February 3, 2013

Chicken Stew


This is my all time favorite soup and is where my love of soup originated. This soup is a family tradition and without fail, I always crave it when I am sick. The only problem with this stew is trying to convince others of its holy-moly healing powers with such simple, some might say, oddly-paired ingredients. I have been so looking forward to making and sharing this soup here on the blog. Go ahead, try it and let it warm your heart and wrap you up in its goodness.

Ingredients:
3-5 Chicken Breasts
Milk
Butter
Salt & Pepper 
Saltine Crackers
Bread & Butter Pickles

* I realize that saltine crackers and sweet pickles are actually garnishes but for this recipe, they are staples to the experience. Chicken stew without lots of saltines is like chicken dumplings without dumplings. If you don't like pickles that is fine but the crackers are a must!


 Boil your chicken breasts 25-30 minutes until done.



You want to save the broth from boiling your chicken. I sit my colander in a bowl and separate it that way.

 Let your chicken cool and then shred. When I don't have much time I run cold water over the chicken while shredding to speed up the process.


Put your shredded chicken back in your stock pot. Pour broth until it almost covers the chicken. You won't use all of your broth but hang on to it in case you need it later.

 Now, add 2 cups of milk and a half a stick of butter. You want your stew to look pretty white so you may add more or less milk here.


 Once your butter melts, add your salt and pepper. Now, I love pepper and honestly, more pepper than you normally add is best for this stew. Additionally, I don't use a lot of salt when I cook but this recipe definitely needs it. I tell you that so that you don't second guess yourself when continuing to salt and pepper here.

Your stew is now ready. Crumble lots of saltines and add on top. Because the saltines plump up in the stew, they thicken up the overall texture.  

'Till next time, 
Natalie

2 comments:

  1. Pretty similar to my cracker stew but I use the whole chicken and I don’t crumble the crackers. I just dump them in and after they soak awhile, ladle stew into bowls.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover