Sunday, March 3, 2013

Irish Stew





 
Since I am the red-headed, fair skinned of the group, I felt it was my obligation to cook and write about one of my favorites: Irish Stew.
 
This stew originated as a hearty, flavorful peasant dish made with the cheapest and often, most left-over ingredients. This recipe belongs to my aunt Cathy and it has become a favorite over the years. She cooks hers in a crockpot and I cook mine on the stove top but it is just as yummy either way!
 
Ingredients:
 5 potatoes
1 onion
1-2 cups of frozen corn
1 bell pepper
3 carrots
1 stick of butter
1 can of roast beef
16 oz can of chopped tomatos
16 oz can of tomato sauce
1.5 cups of water
 
Serves: 4
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes stove top or 7-8 hours in crockpot
 
Finely dice your onions.

Chop your potatoes in 1 inch cubes.
 
Add potatoes and corn to water.

Add carrots, bell pepper, onion and butter. Boil until tender.
 
Add roast beef, canned tomatoes, canned sauce and let simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.

 
Serve with pita chips or corn bread. Enjoy!
 
'Till next time,
Natalie






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover