Sunday, December 23, 2012

Olive Garden's Chicken Gnocchi Soup


Mmmm. Olive Garden does a lot of things right but I have to say that their chicken gnocchi soup paired with salad and breadsticks is AWESOME! Thankfully, my family consists of a bunch of Italian wannabe's, so we frequent our local Olive Garden often. This is what I order almost every time. There are many recipes that try to copycat this decadent soup and if I must say so myself, this one here came pretty darn close.

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts, boiled
4 Tbsp of butter
16 oz. of evaporated milk
4 Tbsp of olive oil
18 oz of chicken broth
1/2 cup of chopped celery
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
3 garlic cloves minced
1 medium onion, chopped fine
Carrots (.5 cup if chopped in food processor, 1 cup if shredded)
2 cups of fresh baby spinach chopped
16 oz package of gnocchi
salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese for garnish

Let's get started.

Chop your celery.


And now your garlic.


I put my carrots and onion in the food processor to get them very fine.

 

Coarsely chop your spinach.

Take your butter and olive oil to saute your onions and garlic. Once transparent, add your flour and stir for about one minute creating your roux.


Now add your evaporated milk, chicken broth, carrots and celery. Stir occasionally.

I took my kitchen sheers to my boiled chicken to get the right pieces. Not too shredded and not too chunky. I also added salt and pepper before adding to the soup.

Now add your chicken and spinach.




Cook your gnocchi according to package directions, drain and add to your soup base. I bought wheat gnocchi because I was feeling healthy. Olive Garden uses the white and I will probably try that next time.


This soup turned out great. My version was a little thicker than Olive Garden's but I liked that better. If you like a runnier consistency then I would recommend adding more chicken broth or even water. I added a good bit of salt and pepper based on our preferences. I sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and it was the perfect blend! I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

'Till next time,
Natalie 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover